An unexamined life is not worth living.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Game from Canadian Chess Junior Championship 2002 - video

Some losses are just not fun to go back and look at! Some of them are just plain depressing, but there is always a good lesson to be learned from any game, especially if you look critically at your own play. In this case – my brain just was not there at the two very critical junctures of this last round game of the Canadian Junior Championship in 2002 in Winnipeg:
Moskvitch – Jiganchine, 2002

image Black to move

Instead of the correct 15… Qd5, I erred with 15 … f6? After 16. Qh5! I had to surrender material, but was fortunate to collect some of it back, so I was still in the game by the time we got to this position:

image Black to move. Can he take on f4?

Answer: no! Correct was 35 …Rh8, or 35 ... fxg5. Watch the video for more details and to see what happened

 

In summary: after a bad mistake on my part, White conducts a nice attack in the Panov attack of the Caro-Kann. With a rook and 3 pawns for two pieces, my opponent was cruising to victory, but was a bit imprecise and allowed me to get outposts for my pieces. However I return the favour and make a huge blunder, so White wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter